This course has been revised and is up to date for 2017-18, including information on GDPR. Understand issues such as choice, consent, transparency, security and the legislation; and learn how to handle data correctly and how to respond to requests for information.
All organisations that handle personal information are required to comply with the Data Protection Act. A 'subject access request' allows people to find out what information is held about them – electronically and in some paper records. Companies must adhere to strict regulations regarding privacy and disclosure. Yet as with many areas of the law, the regulations can be complex.
Data Protection will enable you to understand issues such as choice, consent, transparency, security and the legislation. You will learn how to handle data correctly and how to respond to requests for information.
This course will enable you to:
- Understand your legal responsibilities
- Handle data securely, competently and effectively
- Respond correctly to requests, providing the appropriate information
- Put in place, and adhere to, the required policies and procedures
- Take the practical steps needed to ensure organisational compliance.
Privacy and data protection
- What is privacy and data protection?
- What are the current legal arrangements for privacy in the UK?
- What are the eight principles of data protection?
What the law says
- To whom does data protection apply?
- To what information does data protection apply?
- What is the difference between personal data and sensitive data?
- Does the act give people specific rights?
- What are the exemptions?
- Is the Data Protection Act enforceable?
Duties and obligations
- What key concepts do data controllers need to understand?
- What about data collected via surveillance and CCTV?
- How do we comply with the eight data protection principles?
- What is Durant?
- What about confidentiality?
- What happens if we get it wrong?
- Why would we receive subject access requests?
Policies and procedures
- Do we have to log the requests we receive?
- How do we get consent?
- What if we don't manage our information very well?
4 hours CPD
To purchase this course